Tuesday, November 20, 2012

moving on

after sandy hit temps dropped down into the thirties. no one had power, even in Pennsylvania. we went to my grandmothers but then moved to my aunts house since she had a generator and we needed heat for the twins. Keith and I went back and forth to our house to grab as much of our belongings as we could get out. looting was a feared problem in the shore towns, and we were worried our house would be targeted as well.

with the help from Keith's company, we found a temporary rental. we moved into the temporary rental almost a week after the hurricane hit. the temporary rental is two hours north of our home, but we're warm, safe, and trying to move on.

that second week after the storm was the hardest. week one we were in survival mode and going back and forth to our house and moving our belongings out and trashing the things we lost. it was go, go, go that week, no time to really think just going. that second week my emotions started to catch up with me. the reality of what happened was setting in, the sleepless nights were catching up, and I was just feeling sorry for myself. I wanted to just go home. we rent our home, and we were in constant contact with our landlord as he assessed damage and came up with a plan. we were happy to hear we could come back and that we didn't lose the home, but there was going to be a few months of repairs and rebuilding.

we wont be home for the holidays, but I am grateful we have a home to go back to and that my family and I are all safe.

2 comments:

  1. Your story and your experiences... my heart goes out to you and your little family. hang in there.

    Aloha Sweet Friend,

    I'm stopping by from Casey's little linky list to personally invite you to join me for An Aloha Affair.

    It's a sweet gathering of creative souls and a sharing of all the wonderful work we do. I'd love it if you'd join us.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole, I'll check it out

    ReplyDelete